Are We Too Obsessed With Guilt?

Once again, we’re back in Lent.  The English name simply comes from the Anglo-Saxon lencten, meaning ‘spring season’, when the days start to lengthen.  To Christians, however, Lent is the penitential season before Easter.

But what does ‘penitential’ mean?  Is it a time to punish ourselves for our sins, trying to appease God by going without chocolate, or going vegan, or even intermittently going without food at all?

Well, there can be good reasons for eating less, but self-punishment isn’t one of them.  After all, the point of Christianity, and particularly of Easter, is that we are reconciled to God because Jesus has already atoned for us.  We don’t need to make ourselves suffer in this life in order to deter God from making us suffer more.

Alternatively, is this a time to be aware of our sins, repent of them and ask God for forgiveness?  Maybe this is part of what Lent is for.  But is devoting seven weeks of each year to feeling guilty what God wants?

My religious upbringing wasn’t the sort that threatened children with damnation every time we did anything remotely naughty.  The message was more that, because Jesus had been tortured to death instead of us, and because we believed in him and accepted him as our saviour, we weren’t going to get the punishment we deserved.  But our teachers did urge us to strike up conversations with random strangers to tell them about Jesus so that they wouldn’t go to hell.  So the underlying message remained: all of us are so wicked in God’s eyes that we deserve to be tortured forever, and the main reason to be a Christian is to avoid punishment.

For much of my life, I have associated religion with a non-specific sense of guilt: not guilt over anything in particular that I had done, but just for existing.  As a child, the verses in Proverbs about corporal punishment convinced me that God wanted my parents to beat me, not as punishment for bad behaviour, but simply for being a child.  Since my parents didn’t agree with this, I took to beating myself.

Yet I also believed that Jesus loved children more than he loved anyone else – had he not said that the kingdom of heaven belonged to such as us?  So I dreaded adolescence – I didn’t recall the Bible saying anything about Jesus loving teenagers!

By the time I actually was a teenager, I realised that God wasn’t a god of self-righteous religious goody-goodies.  Rather, Jesus came to save delinquents and outcasts.  So I worried that, because my life didn’t involve gang warfare, heroin addiction and sado-masochistic sex, I was too boring and bourgeois for Jesus to care about saving me, which meant that I was going to hell.

As an adult, I could always find something to feel guilty about.  When I was unemployed and didn’t have any money to give to charity, I worried that I was damned for not helping the poor.  When I got a job, I worried that I was damned for not being poor enough.  Working in a care home for dementia patients, I felt guilty about keeping patients there who didn’t want to be there.  When I got sacked, I felt guilty because I was no longer giving food and drink to those who were hungry and thirsty.

Once we get into the habit of picturing God primarily as a stern judge who will punish us unless we have a get-out-of-jail-free card, it can become hard to imagine having anything to say to him other than, ‘I’m sorry,’ and, ‘Please forgive me,’ or possibly, ‘I’m sorry I sought to evade your justice – please don’t forgive me.’

As Marcus Borg – not a theologian I always agree with, but he makes some good points – says in The Heart of Christianity, we pray things like, ‘Our hearts have been closed to you, Lord; forgive us our closed hearts,’ and don’t think to say, ‘open our closed hearts.’  We forget that if God loves us, he might want to do more for us than simply forgiving us, such as freeing slaves, or healing the sick.  We forget that our problems don’t always take the form of bad things that we have done.

Nick Fawcett’s hymn ‘Lord, We Know That We Have Failed You’ begins by apologising for the times when we have ignored God’s will, and the times when we have failed to care for others.  In Verse 3, he takes a rather different tack:

Lord, we know that we have failed you,

Full of doubt when life’s been hard;

Suffering has sapped our vision,

Sorrow left our spirits scarred.

 

It is as though Fawcett, having set out to write a hymn of penitence, wants to make everything come under this heading.  Since it doesn’t make sense to apologise for bad things having happened to us, instead he apologises for our having been damaged by the bad things that have happened to us, which isn’t much better.

The psalmists prayed to God in all sorts of circumstances, including repenting of sin (most famously Psalm 51).  To them, apologising for wrongdoing was something they needed to do when they were conscious of having done something seriously wrong.  It wasn’t something that defined their whole relationship with God.

Yes, saying, ‘forgive us our sins,’ is in the Lord’s Prayer, as is saying, ‘give us this day our daily bread.’  Perhaps Jesus is not saying, ‘You must repeat these same phrases every time,’ but, ‘pray simply, according to the needs you have, and trust that God hears you.’ 

So, if we have a particular need – for example, if we are unemployed and can’t make a living – we might pray, ‘God, please help me find a job.’  But that doesn’t mean that when we have enough to live on, we pray every day, ‘God, please help me make more money.’  Instead, we thank God that we have food to eat, and ask him to help us to use our money well, in shopping ethically and in giving to charity.  In the same way, perhaps instead of trying to think of sins to ask forgiveness for, we need to thank God that he has already forgiven us, and ask him to show us what we could do better.

So in the same way, I want to treat this Lent not as a time for looking for things to feel guilty about, but of learning to live as part of God’s family.  As the Anglican liturgy says,

 

Through fasting, prayer and acts of service

you bring us back to your generous heart. 

 

So fasting, prayer and acts of service all have a role to play, and I need to think about what that role is.  If I have any ideas, I’ll post again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Letter Christianity?